The Churchill church was possibly built in the centre of Churchill inabout 1180 AD It was a small Norman style church. It had only a naveand a sanctuary.
The Churchill church was possibly built in the centre of Churchill inabout 1180 AD It was a small Norman style church. It had only a naveand a sanctuary. The shape may have looked like this,
The church was more than likely built in the centre of Churchill. Thismade it much easier for the people of the area to get to the church.The church was built from stone and was an aisle less nave leadingthrough a round-headed arch into a rectangular chancel.
During the 11th Century to the 14th Century the villages populationgrew considerably. More land was also taken over for farming. The factthat the population grew meant that the church would need to extend,if it was to cater for more people. About 1290 a narrow south aislewas added possibly to provide space at the east-end for the mortuarychapel of the Fitzpayne family. Again the south aisle was extendedabout 100 years later. The present aisle was built over and theearlier extension was then cleared away. The porch also was built whenthe second south aisle was built.
The church now looks like this:
At 1348-1449 there were many outbreaks of the Black Death. This meantabout 1/3 of the population died. This caused a halt to be put onbuilding extensions because there was not a need to extend the churchas there were fewer people going. The plague caused many of the peoplefrom the centre of Churchill where the church is, to move a little wayaway. This may be the reason why the centre of Churchill has moved.People moved to where we call turnpike or the traffic lights on theA38. Now the church in not in the centre of Churchill. By 1400 thepopulation began to grow again. Land became very important for sheepfarming because wool became a major trade. The wool industry made manymerchants rich. The rich people put money into churches so they hadmoney to extend, make new pews, build towers, get stained glasswindows, wall paintings and decorations etc.
In 1419 the original Norman chancel was rebuilt, heightened, andextended eastwards to its present length. It also received mullionedeast windows, the side window and the piscina in the wall, with itspointed arch and quatrefoil basin. This meant that within about 130years the church had grown from a small rectangular church to an