A Case study of:
q Urban redevelopment / Urban regeneration
q Economic decline and regeneration
q In migration into an area and its impact
q An urban planning scheme
Where are the London Docklands?
In the East End of London. Docklands covers an area of 2200 hectares,(21 sq kms) over 5 boroughs, Newham, Tower hamlet, Southwark, Lewishamand Greenwhich. The area covered by the London Docklands RedevelopmentCorporation stretches from Wapping and Tower Bridge in the west to TheCity Airport and Becckton in the east.
Why did the London docklands decline?
1. An increase in the size of the ships meant that the docklands weretoo narrow and shallow.
2. An increase in Londons traffic lead to access roads and aterialroutes being congested.
3. A progressive decline of the upstream docks resulted in closure anddereliction
4. Many industries, which used to be around the docks moved to otherareas where there was more space e.g along M1, North Circular Road,M25.
5. New docks were developed down stream at Tilbury and at the channelports.
Why did the London Docklands attract site business development?
The growth and development of London docklands has traditionally beentied down to the growth and wealth of central Londons cities.
The LDDC -What is it ? What powers was LDDC given ?
LDDC stands for London Docklands Development Corporation. It was setup in 1981 by the government, funded by the government. The LDDC hasbeen given complete planning control for the areas worse affected bydereliction.
It had powers of Compulsory Purchase.
…ases increased (successful court actionagainst developers)
q Complaints that funds for council house improvements were used onlyfor cosmetic facelifts – unhealthy housing still exists.
q Funding slowed in recession – eastern areas still neglected &derelict
q Noise pollution increased & complaints about airport noise andaccident risk.
How could the development have been done differently ?
q Consultation-local people were not involved in the planning soLondonDocklands failed to meet needs of all groups in community.
q More houses, flats, but at affordable prices.
q Transport infrastructure imporved before offices and houses built -access was very bad until 1987 when DLR built and 1993 when M11extension started and Limehouse Link. Many companies were slow to movebecause access was poor.