To prepare for the smear, I had all of the materials ready which was a glass slide, a slant tube culture which was B. Magnesium, inoculating loop, burner, water, clothes pins to hold the slide during staining, and the 4 liquids which were crystal violet, iodine, alcohol, and safaris. I started by labeling the slide so I knew which bacteria it was and which side the bacteria would be placed on. I placed a drop of water on the slide, cleaned/sanitized the loop by placing it over the burner until it was completely red, then grabbed the slant culture.
I let the loop cool down, waved the top of the tube over the burner, and gently scraped some of the culture with the loop. I then smeared the culture on the slide. I waited for the slide to air dry then heat fixed it b running it over the fire 3 times. Once the slide was heat fixed, it was time to do the stain. I put the slide overt the sink, put 3-4 drops of crystal violet on the slide, waited one minute then rinsed. Next, I put 3-4 drops of iodine on the slide, waiting one minute, then rinsed.
Next, I put 3-4 drops of alcohol on the slide and stopped when the alcohol looked almost clear but not completely clear. Finally, I put 3-4 drops of safaris on the slide, waiting one minute, then rinsed. I then put the slide on the drying paper to dry the slide. When I placed the slide under the microscope, I started with the smallest lens, found the bacteria, then worked my way up to the third largest lens. Once I found the bacteria, placed a drop of oil on the slide, then used the largest lenses which is the oil lenses.