We hypothesized that the enzyme would denature if it was exposed to a giggly acidic or highly basic solution. Methods We obtained and labeled four test tubes to start our experiment, then, using a pipette, added 3 ml of water to test tube 1, and 3 ml of sucrose stock solution to test tubes 2, 3, and 4. We left test tubes 1 and 2 untreated, while we treated test tube 3 with 10 drops of concentrated HCI (hydrochloric acid) and test tube 4 with 10 drops of concentrated NH (ammonium hydroxide). We then added with a pipette 2 ml of a 1% sucrose solution to each of the four test tubes.
We mixed the intents of the test tubes by swirling them and allowed them to stand for ten minutes. We then added 5 ml of Benedicts solution using a pitman to test the tubes for the presence of glucose and fructose, mixed the contents of each of the tubes, and heated them in a boiling water bath for two minutes. Results After we heated the test tubes, the colors in tubes 2, 3, and 4 changed. Test tube 2 turned orange, test tube 3 turned green, and test tube 4 turned blue. These results can be found in Table 1.
Table 1: This table shows the color formed after he Benedicts reagent was added and the solution was heated and tells what each of the colors meant. Test Tube I Color of Precipitate I Amount of glucose and fructose | 1 | Clear 1 2 | Orange | 3+ | 3 | Green | 1+ | 4 | Blue 01 Discussion In the first test tube, nothing happened because there was no enzyme stock solution added. The color was clear and there was no glucose or fructose because none was added to begin with. In the second test tube, the precipitate was orange.
There was the most glucose and fructose in this test tube 3+) because it did not receive a change in pH, therefore the enzyme was not denatured and worked well. Test tube three showed less glucose and fructose than test tube two. The precipitate turned green, which depicted a 1+ on the scale. Test tube four had the least amount of glucose and fructose. The precipitate turned blue, which was a sign of O glucose and fructose. We concluded that the presence of the acid and base in test tubes 3 and 4 was the reason for the lower levels of glucose and fructose.
The change in pH altered the structure of the enzyme, causing it to denature. Our conclusion agreed with our hypothesis, that a highly acidic of highly basic solution would denature the enzyme and cause it not to work as well. We did not encounter any obstacles or problems with our experiments. However, to produce more accurate results, we could have timed our experiment more precisely.